Kamis, 05 Juli 2012

More on Nicotiana!

Since I got a couple of questions about the nicotiana in my previous post, I decided to expand it with its own post.  I spoke with the gardener on our property (The Herbal Husband) and he told me that these particular nicotiana came back from the roots!  I think that means the plant made it through the winter.  That doesn't often happen!  In fact I don't think it ever has.  Warmer winter.  He does throw seeds other places.  The seeds are very tiny, but they seem to like our garden.  I have always known nicotiana as flowering tabacco, Barbara the Healthy Nut.  I know you can use it in moonlight gardens because it has white flowers and it is fragrant.  Some of you may know it as moon flowers.

Here is a link to an article by Ingrid Graff from The Herb Companion magazine called Plant a Moonlight Garden.  It also has a link for a list of Moonlight Garden Plants designed by Carolee Snyder of Carolee's Herb Farm in Hartford City, Indiana.  Really we have kept them watered but they have done especially well in the heat and humidity.  Faith also asked if it is fragrant at night.  Yes, Faith, it is more fragrant at night, but it has some fragrance even in the day.  I even like that it has "volunteered" among the arborvitaes!  We went to see Moonrise Kingdom.  A bit weird.  Not sure I liked it or would recommend it.  Saw People Like Us today and I would recommend this.  It was good with a good cast.  Going to be close to 100 tomorrow!  I know some of you have been in the 100's for multiple days.  I have to be out early picking raspberries tomorrow or I may wilt not melt, like you know who in the Wizard of Oz.  OK, I'm getting silly.  Talk to you later.