Selasa, 14 Juni 2011

Well, It's More Like Jelly!

Is This Enough Roses for the Recipe?  I Needed Four Cups of Petals.
This is the Tedious Part.  Cutting That Little White Part Off.
Four Cups of Petals All Ready to Go!
With Some to Spare for Potpourri!
At the Beginning of the Cooking Process
The Stage Where You Can Take Out the Rose Pulp or Leave Some in!
At this stage, the petals looked liked used tissues.  I didn't like the effect and so I took all of the petals out just pressing all of the juice out.  It wasn't difficult.  Here is the finished product.
All Natural Color, No Food Coloring Used!
I really love the clarity of jelly.  I just think it is so beautiful.  I'm happy with how it turned out.  Now if it sets.  I should know in the morning.  Here is the recipe in its original state from The Herb Companion magazine.

ROSE PETAL JAM (JELLY)

Makes about 4 pints

  • 6 cups water
  • Juice of one lemon
  • 4 cups fragrant red rose petals, washed, with white heels removed
  • 1 Tablespoon of rose water  (My roses were not highly fragrant)
  • 1 packet powdered pectin
  • 6 cups sugar

1. Heat the water and lemon juice in a saucepan, add the rose petals, and simmer for 10 minutes. With a wooden spoon, squeeze most of the petal pulp against the edge of the pan to release the juice. Leave a small amount of pulp in the pan for texture.

2. Return the liquid to a simmer and sprinkle in the pectin. Stir until dissolved. Add the sugar.

3. Increase the heat and boil vigorously for 7 minutes, stirring constantly.

4. Immediately place the jam in hot sterilized jars and seal.


As you can see from the photos, I didn't have red roses and it gave this wonderful color despite that fact.  So I hope you make the recipe and try whatever pleases you.  I will probably not be making the rose jam muffins either!  I'll let you know in tomorrow's post if the jelly has set.  It was a cool day here.  Hope you are having a great day.  The folks in New Zealand are again having problems.  My thoughts and prayers are with you all.  Talk to you later.