Minggu, 12 Juni 2011

The Elderberry is Blooming!

One of my favorite herbs in the garden is my cutleaf elderberry (Sambucus canadensis).  I bought it at one of my favorite herb farms Mulberry Creek Herb Farm out near Cedar Point.  They describe the cutleaf elderberry as and I quote from them: 
Think of this plant as an inexpensive, faster growing green "Japanese Maple" that blooms in June. Purist might pale at such a comparison, however, for "Japanese Maple" challenged gardeners, it is definitely hardier to wind and temperature. With finely cut leaves and blooms as attractive to bees as it is to fritter-lovin' folks, it is not a second rate choice.
 It is a great plant for the garden.  Mine is doing well even with the shade it is getting from the Chinese Chestnut tree.  Hope you are having a great day wherever you may be.  Talk to you later.