Sabtu, 11 Desember 2010

Last Minute Salad Burnet!

Can you believe The Herbal Husband just went out and cut this salad burnet  just now before the rain and snow hits tomorrow!  Remember salad burnet gives you the flavor of cucumber in your salads.  I'll use it fresh or maybe put it in some vinegar.  Hope the weather is not too bad where you live today!  It's going to be interesting.  A little bit of everything!  Talk to you later!

Later in the day.  I just wanted to say that salad burnet (Sanguisorba minor) is an all season herb.  It comes up early in the spring and it is just finished in our garden (mid December!)  It is up to two feet tall and is hardy from Zones 4 to 8.  Having said that, it is not reliably hardy for me.  It does self seed, but never to the invasive point.  I usually can find a plant or two at my favorite herb farm in Ohio.  You can also easily start seeds indoors or plant directly outdoors in spring.  Johnny's Selected Seeds is one of my favorite sources for seeds of all kinds.  Very reliable company from Maine.