Selasa, 11 Agustus 2009

My Favorite Summer Sandwich! What's Yours?

Well, you are all thinking to yourselves she has finally gone over the edge! Green tomatoes and peanut butter! An heirloom 'Green Zebra' tomato so it is supposed to look this way. We have extra fiber bread so I think next time I may toast it. I was so excited that I just slapped on the peanut butter, place the tomato slices on the bread and I was in tomato and peanut butter heaven! By the way I use Jif Extra Chunky!

There is a back story with this post. I was a legal secretary for many years and the typewriter repairman (Yes, quills and ink were gone!) was fixing my machine at lunch. He asked what I was having and I said a peanut butter and tomato sandwich. He said, "You must be from Kittanning. My wife is from there and eats the same sandwich!" It was a little creepy and funny at the same time. Here is a picture of my hometown from a hillside above on a hot steamy day in July five years ago. Kittanning is the County Seat of Armstrong County and is situated along the Allegheny River. You can just make out the Courthouse in the distance!

I have to say the 'Green Zebra' tomato is my new favorite, but 'Early Girl' is my other favorite with peanut butter! I save the 'Cherokee Purple' tomatoes for a basil, feta cheese and tomato salad. 'Sungold' cherry tomatoes are my favorite cherry tomato with 'Matt's Wild Cherry' a very close second! So what is your favorite sandwich in the summer? Don't forget to enter our contests! Check the August 7, 2009 posts!