Rabu, 15 Agustus 2012

A Cool Insect in the Garden

This is a tachinid fly.  It is absolutely in love with the variegated mint flowers on our patio.  I don't think I will talk about its cute hairy butt or may be I should.  Better not!  I can see the Google searches now!  There are like 1,500 species of tachinids that provide biological control in your garden.  That is why it is so critical to avoid chemicals if you can.  When I was an active master gardener, I was always reminding the callers that the bad bugs are only about 2 or 3 percent of the total insect population.  I know most of you don't even think about spraying these days, but on the off chance you do, think about all of the good insects that are trying to get those bad insects under control.  Quiet day here.  The Herbal Husband is taking a well deserved break from the garden.  Hope you are having a great day.  Talk to you later.